Thursday, June 20, 2013

And The Dead Came Round To Listen

I'm trying to get used to staying up late for work and sleeping all day. Tonight is the third night in a row that there has been a big windy thunderstorm roll into the little town that I live in and I have to admit, it has me feeling quite superstitious. Just now, for example, I can hear tree branches blowing and scratching on my metal porch roof.  Very spooky.

Some of the dinner on my tiny table

 Two nights ago I had a little dinner with a few friends and it was super fun. I made herbed chicken with lemon balm, rosemary, sage, lavender, garlic, dill, onion powder, cracked black pepper, and a little lemon juice. I also made chicken that I pounded out very thing and just marinated in Italian dressing. I marinated baby mushrooms in wine and put them on skewers with onions and the herbed chicken. Then I also made Texas toast, fruit salad, and Mexican street corn. Grilling out makes food taste amazing and it so much easier to do in the summer, despite my trying to light the grill with vicks vapor rub in place of lighter fluid. I hate turning on my oven and heating up the house. My friend brought potatoes for a side and I made very sweet tea. The only way I like tea is if it is medicinal and hot or very sweet and iced. I had so many people at my house that I ran out of chairs! After dinner we sat on the front porch and talked until the bugs became too bothersome in the dark. Then we watched the basketball game that was on. It got pretty loud and crazy, but I for sure and certain did not mind. It gets pretty lonely around here. Part of my favorite section of the night was painting with my friend's little 8 year old daughter, despite getting green and purple paint on my face. She even painted me a picture that I hung on my fridge!

It says, "I love Katie"

I have to work the next two nights, which is awesome because I'll get weekend pay as well as night shift pay.  Hopefully I can sustain this odd schedule!

No comments:

Post a Comment