Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Garden Talk

For the very first time in my life, I inhabit a house that is entirely my own, and with it comes a front and back yard.  I am drawn towards plants and gardening, especially beautiful, healthful things.

  I remember as a child my daddy planting berry plants, apple trees, and always, always we had roses.  He can grow anything.  Big bushes of rosemary, trailing jasmine plants, big, prickly roses of various colors, and barrels of lavender.  He has always had house plants as well.  For a while he grew orchids.  There is always a big pot of aloe vera somewhere in my parents’ home, used many a time for mild burns.  Marmie has always loved hanging plants like geraniums and ivys.  I remember looking up at her red-flowering potted plants at a very young age. 

  But this brings me to my own personal yard.  I am drawn towards medicinal plants, to be sure.  As a nurse, herbal medicine is something I am very passionate about.  However, as a fledgling nurse, I do not have much money or time.  For starters, I’ve planted some very common culinary herbs.  Rosemary, sage, oregano, peppermint, and two basil plants.  These are all together in a small bed at the front of my house, beside the porch steps.  I desperately wanted lavender, but I can not seem to find a plant anywhere and it is a bit late in the season to start them from seed.  I also have plans for a backyard vegetable plot, but that is for another post.  My favorite thing about the herbs that I have planted, is although they are delicious, they also have healing aspects.  I love being able to assess my mood and body, then go outside and pick a few leaves to add to my supper and enhance my health.  I feel such an earthiness when I take something from the ground, especially something I have grown, and wholly ingest it into my body, to help with functions, moods, thoughts.  It’s darn near magical, if you ask me.  

My little herb garden 

No comments:

Post a Comment