Thursday, June 13, 2013

Oh, So You're a Nurse?

I recently graduated with my bachelor's degree in nursing and I've been getting a few questions from friends and family about what it is that I do exactly.  I just got hired on a Medical-Surgical Nursing unit this past month and I work the night shift, which is 7pm to 7am three days per week, sometimes four.  

Medical Surgical nursing is difficult to explain because in many ways, it is all nursing specialties put together.  Some, if not the bulk, of my patients are pre-surgical or post-surgical.  Others of my patients can have a variety of issues, from coming down off of drug addictions, recovering from exacerbations of respiratory, renal, cardiac, or other diseases, and other nutty situations.  I could have one patient who is 17 and recovering from an appendectomy right next to a lady who has Alzheimers and insists that it is 1954, down the hall from a 45 year old who doesn't speak any English and has a slow bleed in his abdomen.  It is a very broad specialty of nursing.  

I've heard that all new nurses should do a year or so of Med-Surg nursing because it makes you a hell of a good nurse in the end.  It is very difficult and tiring, as I always have at least six patients.  I am currently orienting though, so that is a bit easier.  Orienting means that I have an experienced registered nurse (RN) that I am assigned to, called my preceptor.  We have the exact same set of patients.  She typically sits back and lets me do my thing, but is there when I need her or in particularly difficult situations.  My preceptor is a bit different, personality-wise, than I am, but that's ok.  It's good for me to be put into difficult situations.  I tend to be a little bit more gentle, calm, and cheerful while she is very upfront and blunt.  She has very strong opinions that she is not afraid to share.  Hopefully I stay on her good side. ;)

So I hope that clears some things up.  Tonight I have to work a night shift, so I am going to try and sleep a little before then.  

No comments:

Post a Comment