Friday, December 6, 2013

Southern Mac and Cheese

I've never been one to like the stove-top mac and cheese that comes with the powdered neon yellow/orange cheese.  Even as a kid, I would opt for something else.  So, I was pretty sure that I just didn't like Mac and Cheese in general.

Enter the classic pot luck.

Do you know what a pot luck is?  Growing up, one Sunday a month, after church, a bunch of families would all get together and bring food and eat together and fellowship. Those afternoons are some of my favorite memories!  Most women would bring a covered dish or casserole, and this baked type mac and cheese was a staple.  I loved it.  I had to have it.  I had to figure out how to make it.

Then I forgot about it.

Until two years ago, when I was watching Trisha Yearwood on the cooking channel.  She made an  AMAZING looking Mac and Cheese and once again, I was obsessed.  She makes her differently than mine and in a completely different method (crock-pot), but to be fair, this recipe is definitely inspired by her television show.  I hope y'all try it!

Sorry for the janky angle. I was so excited about eating it...




Southern Mac and Cheese

8 oz of cooked elbow pasta (macaroni)
1 12 oz can of evaporated milk
8 oz sour cream
1 stick of butter, melted
2 large eggs, beaten
4 cups of Colby Jack shredded cheese
1 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp paprika plus some to sprinkle on the top



Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and set aside a greased 9 by 13 casserole dish.  Mix everything together in a large bowl, but save some of the cheese to sprinkle on the top.  Bake for 45 minutes covered with foil, then 15 more minutes without the foil until the top is tan and bubbly.  Let the casserole rest for AT LEAST 15 minutes before you dig in.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment